It’s Clean Air Day on Thursday 17 June and groups across the neighbourhood are taking action to inform, share, and raise awareness of the issues and how they impact our community, especially our children. here’s some of what’s happening…
CLEAN AIR POP-UP, RAWNSLEY PARK
Wednesday 16 June, 3 to 5pm
Our Community Climate Action project team (Abiir and Emily) will be joined by a host of guests for this Clean Air Day warm-up event.
- Annali from KWMC will be joining us with her air quality monitor, explaining more about how it all works and helping us test the quality of the air around us.
- Steve from Lifecycle UK will be there with a Smoothie Bike Machine and a Tandem Bike.
- Olivia from Black and Green Ambassadors will be sharing info about clean air and asking you what it means to you.
- Artists Dee Moxon will be doing interactive Craftivism with the children and grown-ups.
CLEAN AIR DAY, DAY OF ACTION
Thursday 17 June
Clean Air Day is coming up on 17 June with the theme ‘protect our children’s health from air pollution’. The annual campaign is a moment when thousands of people up and down the country come together to collaboratively voice support, hold events, make pledges and take action on toxic air.
Children are more vulnerable to the effects of air pollution; it not only impacts their health but also their ability to learn. The damage can start in the womb and carry on through to old age. As we return to our lives, we must take this opportunity to create a clean air environment where they can learn and play safely.
This year, groups across our community are coming together to raise awareness of some of the key issues and there will be action taking place across our community.
Some things that will be happening include:
- Our Community Climate Action team will be on the BCfm One Love Breakfast show.
- Parents will be talking to others at local schools during drop-off and pick-up times; discussing school streets and the dangers of car idling.
- Information sharing at Easton Community Centre.
- Craft activities at Felix Road Adventure Playground after school.
CLIMATE CRAFTIVISM: LOVE YOUR LUNGS
Tuesday 22 June, 6 to 7.30pm
Online via Zoom
Everyone is welcome to this workshop where they can make a Botanical Lung Sun Catcher with simple materials. The activity is for both adults and children. As part of the workshop we will discuss whether you want to display the lung in a public place to give information about air pollution or post a message to a local decision-maker. Find out more
BLACK & GREEN AMBASSADORS, PHOTO PRIZE DRAW
Deadline Saturday 31 July
Olivia invites you to help build a picture of clean air in Bristol by taking a photo of where you go to breathe in the city and answering these 3 questions:
- where that place is
- how you feel when you go there
- what you need to breathe
Send your photo and responses to firstname.lastname@example.org or WhatsApp on 077517 748320. You can be in the chance of winning a £100 voucher for Better Food, a Bristol-based shop for local food, and more. See page 19 of the Summer issue of Up Our Street for more info.